05 November 2014

Happy Halloween

 Happy Halloween
Halloween weekend was a little bit crazy around here. It started out pretty awful, but got progressively better from there.

On Thursday night, our ward had a Trunk-or-Treat and Chili Cook off. Riley had class that night, so it was just me and the girls. After getting the girls all dressed up as a purple fairy and little blue fairy, we were running a few minutes late. I didn't really think anything of it, because, let's be honest, is anyone ever on time to ward activities? Well, this year they were. We got there and the gym was packed and all the food was gone, with the exception of a few crackers. Even the cornbread muffins we made were gone before I could set them on the table. Then there was the issue of finding a place to sit. Luckily one of the sisters saw us and booted her own kids out of their sets so that we could sit down.
Next, was the hayride. Everyone was fine until we had to wait not once, but twice before we could get on. Chloe had a major meltdown over not getting on when she wanted to. We finally got on, and a friend offered to watch Lucy while Chloe and I rode. Two seconds after pulling away, Lucy went ballistic and started screaming.
 After the ride, we all went into the mother's lounge so that I could feed Lucy, in hopes of keeping her happy while we did the Trunk-or-Treat. Once outside, another friend offered to hold Lucy while Chloe and I went from car to car. Unfortunately, everyone was out of candy by the time we came around. Luckily for Chloe, a few of the older girls saw her empty bucket and gave her some of their candy. Meanwhile, Lucy's screaming again. I could not get out of there fast enough. And, to top it off, Chloe was starving when we got home. I'm so glad that all of that is behind me now.
Lucy's First Halloween
 Halloween morning, I took the girls trick or treating around the shops downtown. It included a lot of walking, crying, and whining, but we all survived. We had a wardrobe change too. Chloe now wanted to be a green fairy (Tinker Bell) and Lucy a cow. I thought it only fitting to put on a cowboy hat and boots.
Purple Fairy

Blue Fairy

 On Halloween night, I decided to stay in with Lucy and hand out candy, while Riley took Chloe out. They were joined by some of our good friends and their grandson. Chloe made it about a block and a half before she was ready to call it quits.
We carved pumpkins a few days before, while my dad and step-mom were staying with us. Chloe was not too excited about pulling out the guts. We gave her the all important job of picking out which stencils to use and supervising the cutting. She did a great job.
After a very long week, I'm really grateful that Halloween only comes once a year.

No comments: